The Behner Stiefel Center for Brazilian Studies, created in 2014, is focused on the interdisciplinary examination of globally relevant issues in Brazil, with an emphasis on social and environmental justice. The Center includes faculty from across the university, united by a shared passion for Brazil and dedicated to research and collaboration with Brazilian scholars. We educate a highly diverse group of students, as evidenced by SDSU’s designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution.
- We foster research that is interdisciplinary in nature, a focus that reflects our perspective that today’s challenges can only be solved by working across academic borders. Areas of special focus include Sustainability, Human Rights, Language and the Arts, Urban Development, and Health.
- We are committed to making an impact in our fields and in the world in which we live.
- We are actively engaged in collaborations with Brazilian scholars and we benefit immensely from their talent, innovation, and intellectual generosity.
- We provide our students with a broad and interdisciplinary training.
- We prioritize diverse perspectives in the classroom and position Brazilian scholars and community members as key sources of expertise.
- We train our students to be future leaders through experiential, hands-on approaches to learning, including field schools, study abroad, and student research.
- We are involved in strategically leveraging our unique location on the border, where Latin America begins, to create dynamic partnerships with Brazilian universities and nonprofit organizations.
- Southern California is home to a large Brazilian population and the Center is enriched by their valuable contributions.